I recently purchased this small safe:
The Pros are:
- Small – Doesn’t take up much space and perfect size to be hidden away somewhere. It is the ideal size for passports, cash and jewelry.
- Easy to install and secure into place with bolts.
- Double Bit lock.
- Three keys provided.
- Colour black means it may not be noticed by a thief or others whom you might not want to know about it.
- I imagine it would be more difficult for a thief to get into than a standard key lock cash tin.
- No need to remember a combination code.
- No electronics therefore no chance of electronic failure or the requirement of replacing batteries.
- It would take a thief quite some effort to get into it. However an expert lock smith could probably open it easily (should you ever loose your keys).
- Price and availability are good.
- Lots of positive reviews on amazon.
The Cons are:
- The safe is so lightweight that it requires bolting to a surface. Otherwise a thief could literally pick it up and walk off with it. I would also recommend that you hide it away somewhere e.g. in the wardrobe, or under the bed, or at the back of a cupboard, or somewhere similar. However if you had a cash tin the thief could do the same, the difference being that this small safe gives you the option to bolt down whereas a cash tin can’t be bolted down.
- It isn’t fire resistant or fireproof. However it probably is more secure than fireproof safes.
- Only someone with a key can access. This means if someone hasn’t got a key but you need them to gain access for you, they wont be able to. Unlike a combination safe were you could give them the code.
- There are probably more secure safes on the market. This is not necessarily a Con, just a fact. But this is the only one of this small size that I could find.
- It isn’t big enough to keep documents in. This is not necessarily a Con either. It’s just something to be aware of if you’re looking for a safe to keep documents in.
A tip if you choose to buy this safe: There is a trick to getting the key into the lock. You need to line up the missing bit out of the key head to the red dot on the lock. Then the key will slide easily into the lock.
There are more pros than cons for this small safe. I’m happy with my purchase. For obvious security reasons I’m not going to tell you where I’m keeping my safe or what I intend to put in it.
Other Similar Products on Amazon