Gay by Degree is a website that has been developed by gay rights charity Stonewall. Initially when I heard about it, I wasn’t sure what to think. But when I looked at it I was impressed with the idea and how it has materialised.
Basically Stonewall has rated each University on it’s level of gay friendliness. They’ve done this by checking if the universities have the following:
•A Stonewall Diversity Champion
• A policy that protects lesbian, gay and bisexual students from bullying
• Compulsory staff training on lesbian, gay and bisexual issues
• Lesbian, gay and bisexual staff network
• Student lesbian, gay and bisexual society
• Info for students on lesbian, gay and bisexual issues
• Events for lesbian, gay and bisexual students
• Explicit Welfare Provision for lesbian, gay and bisexual students
• Consultation with lesbian, gay and bisexual students
• Specific Career Advice for lesbian, gay and bisexual students
(From: http://www.gaybydegree.org.uk/introduction-to-the-guide, Last Accessed: 18 August 2010)
What do you think of this guide? Useful? Post a comment.